Program & Partnerships Fellow
Join the YCI team to provide key support that propels the HerStart program and partnerships forward. In close collaboration with staff, partners and fellows, flex your project management, partnership development or volunteer engagement skill sets in order to deepen HerStart’s impact. This is an opportunity to further strengthen your CV with practical community engagement, international partnership building and non-profit program coordination experience. In the process, advance your knowledge on women’s empowerment, climate action and social entrepreneurship – pivotal frameworks that are shaping the future of work and community impact globally.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Supporting YCI and/or HerStart partners with program design and coordination; this may include assisting training development and facilitation, supporting promotional and outreach activities, providing logistical support for meetings, trainings and events, and more
- Contributing to the development and implementation of systems, tools and processes that enhance organizational efficiency, impact and sustainability of results
- Designing and delivering needs-based trainings, reports and resources based on Partnership Sustainability Plans and ongoing needs assessments
- Advancing additional resource mobilization efforts, which may include concept notes, grant proposals, partnership development, donor prospect research and fundraising strategies
- Contributing to successful volunteer engagement efforts, supporting volunteers through onboarding, in-country orientation, deliverable planning and debrief
- Organizing community-building events and learning opportunities within and across program countries to engage and empower HerStart stakeholders
- Conducting primary and secondary research on key topics to support organizational learning and development
- Further building out the HerStart Toolkit and fellowship databases
- Engaging in holistic fellowship orientation and training opportunities, which include themes such as human-centred design, ethical volunteerism, climate action and gender equality
*Note: Responsibilities for this role will vary for each fellow and country. The above list demonstrates the types of activities this role may be engaged in, depending on the skills of the applicant and the immediate needs of the HerStart team.
Desired Qualifications for this Position
- Knowledge and interest in supporting impact-driven organizations focused on youth engagement, gender equality and social entrepreneurship
- Experience in designing and facilitating trainings, meetings and/or events
- Strong research, project management and logistical coordination skill sets
- Preference for prior experience in one or more of the following areas: project management, volunteer engagement, resource mobilization, grant writing, partnership building or organizational development
- Tech-savvy with knowledge of diverse platforms and interest in learning new ones (including Canva, Slack, Airtable, and Mighty Networks)
- Passion for learning, facilitation and supporting the knowledge and skill development of others
- Excellent organization and time management skills, including the ability to work independently
- Ability to be proactive, flexible and take initiative
- Committed to working with others in an equitable and inclusive manner
- Ability to effectively collaborate with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes openness to differing opinions and views
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Fluent or professional level English skills (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated interest in the fields of international development, gender equality, climate action and/or social entrepreneurship
- Enrolled in or graduated from a post-secondary institution (or have equivalent work experience)
- Ability to commit to the full length of placement, including pre and post training
- Access to a personal computer for duration of placement
*Note: Individuals from all age, gender, academic and professional backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply.
- Gain professional global experience: Engage in a high-quality international volunteer program with YCI – an organization with over 30 years of experience. The Fellowship program includes comprehensive pre-departure training before you go, as well as ongoing health and safety and reintegration support.
- Contribute to women’s economic empowerment: Connect and collaborate with young women, communities and global partners, meaningfully contributing your time to help grow the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda.
- Amplify your personal growth: Participate in unique opportunities to boost your CV and build transferable skills, such as effective cross-cultural communication, project management, research and more.
- Access high quality training and resources: Receive specialized training and resources from our global partners who are subject matter experts in their fields, including gender equality, social enterprise and climate action.
- Be part of an international network: Connect with like-minded, passionate Canadians, partner organizations and youth around the globe. Joining this network will include first access to future YCI opportunities, domestically and internationally.
Why become an International Fellow?
For more information about the HerStart International Fellowship benefits and support package, including the expenses covered by YCI, please review the fellowship FAQ page here!