Digital Media and Communications E‑Fellow
Join a passionate team to support developing and sharing young women’s stories as leaders in social innovation and the unique approach and impact of the HerStart Innovate the Future program. Inspire and engage the public to take action on critical areas, including women’s empowerment, climate change and social entrepreneurship through various communications channels such as social media, digital content, and podcasts. This is an opportunity to strengthen your CV with practical international development research, digital media and communications experience. In the process, learn about pivotal frameworks that are shaping the future of work and social impact globally.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Actively engage in training modules on diverse topics including social entrepreneurship, climate action, gender equality, public engagement, and cross-cultural collaboration
- Produce engaging materials to communicate success stories and engagement opportunities to the public, through social media, blog and web content, and the development of the HerStory podcast series
- Support the development of communications ‘how-to’ guides and training sessions for staff, partners and fellows
- Contribute to the design and implementation of marketing and outreach strategies and materials
- Collaborate with other teams to collect the required statistics, background information and testimonials for communications needs
- Build and organize program photos, videos and communications resource libraries
- Support the design and implementation of HerStart communications strategies and work plans; provide strategic communications support to partners and country teams as needed
- Collaborate virtually with staff, partners and fellows in each country to coordinate research logistics and engage in the HerStart Community of Practice
Desired Qualifications for this Position
- Previous experience in digital content creation, developing a podcast, and/or managing business social media
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and video and audio editing software is strongly preferred
- Passion for creatively communicating insights and information about social impact programs
- Strong writing and editing skills with high attention to detail
- Tech-savvy with knowledge of diverse platforms and interest in learning new ones (including Slack, AirTable and Mighty Networks)
- Strong organization, research and time management skills in a virtual setting
- Strong teamwork, leadership and problem-solving skills
- Ability to be proactive, flexible and take initiative
- Ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes openness to differing opinions and views
- Previous experience in the field of international development is an asset
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Must have fluent or professional level English (written and verbal) skills
- Ability to commit to full term of engagement at either 21 or 35 hours/week
- Currently enrolled in or graduated from a relevant post-secondary degree or diploma, or have the equivalent work experience
- Demonstrate interest in the fields of international development, gender equality, climate action and/or social entrepreneurship
- Access to a computer with standard software applications and stable internet connection
- Flexibility in schedule (able to attend most weekday meetings and trainings coordinated across different time zones)
- Proficiency in standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Note: Individuals of all age, gender, academic and professional backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply.
- Contribute to women’s economic empowerment: Connect and collaborate with young women, communities and global partners to help grow the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda.
- Amplify your personal and professional growth: Whether you’re a recent grad, mid-career or experienced professional, you’ll receive unique opportunities to boost your CV and build transferable skills, such as cross-cultural communication, project management, research and more.
- Access high-quality training and resources: You’ll receive specialized training and resources from our global partners who are subject matter experts in their fields, including gender equality, social enterprise, monitoring and evaluation and climate action.
- Be part of an international network: You’ll connect with like-minded, passionate Canadians, partner organizations and youth around the globe who believe that we can create a better future for everyone through gender equality and social enterprise. This will include first access to future YCI opportunities, both domestically and internationally.