Climate Action E-Fellow
Join the HerStart program team to propel the environmental sustainability of the global entrepreneurship ecosystem forward. Support HerStart staff and partners in raising awareness of climate change, designing climate-responsive solutions and building a network of green businesses. This is an opportunity to apply your knowledge and passion for climate action in a new and innovative way, while also strengthening your CV with hands-on international research, training and non-profit project management experience. In the process, advance your knowledge on women’s empowerment, climate action and social entrepreneurship – pivotal frameworks that are shaping the future of work and community impact globally.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Supporting the implementation and monitoring of climate action strategies and plans with country teams and partners, coordinating key activities and stakeholders (i.e. advisory teams, green businesses, etc.)
- Advancing organizational learning on green entrepreneurship and climate-responsive frameworks, programs and policies
- Designing and delivering needs-based trainings, reports and resources related to environmental sustainability and green entrepreneurship for partners, staff and fellows
- Collaborating with key stakeholders to research, develop and test innovative climate-responsive solutions
- Proposing recommendations to ensure programs meet the needs of diverse participants and integrate a climate focus
- Providing mentorship to social entrepreneurs to enhance hard and soft skill development, including how to integrate environmental considerations into business activities and researching viable green business opportunities
- Conducting primary and secondary research on environmental sustainability, green entrepreneurship and climate action topics to inform program activities
- Further building out the HerStart Toolkit and fellowship databases
- Engaging in holistic fellowship orientation and training opportunities, which include themes such as human-centred design, ethical volunteerism, climate action and gender equality
*Note: Responsibilities for this role will vary for each fellow and country. The above list demonstrates the types of activities this role may be engaged in, depending on the skills of the applicant and the immediate needs of the HerStart team.
Desired Qualifications for this Position
- Prior experience with climate action/adaptation/mitigation programs or research
- Experience in facilitating trainings and developing educational resources
- Passion for learning and supporting the knowledge/skill development of others
- Strong research, communications and project coordination skills with high attention to detail
- Tech-savvy with knowledge of diverse platforms and interest in learning new ones (including Mural, Slack, Airtable and Mighty Networks)
- Excellent organization and time management skills, including the ability to work independently
- Ability to be proactive, flexible and take initiative
- Committed to working with others in an equitable and inclusive manner
- Ability to effectively collaborate with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes openness to differing opinions and views
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Fluent or professional level English skills (written and verbal)
- Demonstrated interest in the fields of international development, gender equality, climate action and/or social entrepreneurship
- Enrolled in or graduated from a post-secondary institution (or have equivalent work experience)
- Ability to commit to the full length of placement, including pre and post training
- Access to a personal computer for duration of placement
*Note: Individuals from all age, gender, academic and professional backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply.
- Gain professional global experience: Engage in a high-quality international e-volunteer program with YCI – an organization with over 30 years of experience.
- Contribute to women’s economic empowerment: Connect and collaborate with young women, communities and global partners, meaningfully contributing your time to help grow the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in Ghana, Tanzania or Uganda.
- Amplify your personal growth: Participate in unique opportunities to boost your CV and build transferable skills, such as effective cross-cultural communication, project management, research and more.
- Access high quality training and resources: Receive specialized training and resources from our global partners who are subject matter experts in their fields, including gender equality, social enterprise and climate action.
- Be part of an international network: Connect with like-minded, passionate Canadians, partner organizations and youth around the globe. Joining this network will include first access to future YCI opportunities, domestically and internationally.
Why become an E-Fellow?
For more information about the HerStart E-Fellowship program, please click here.
Did you know HerStart also offers 3- and 6-month International Fellowship opportunities based in Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda? Learn more and apply here.