Climate Action & Entrepreneurship E‑Fellow
Join the HerStart Innovate the Future program team to further enhance the sustainability of the entrepreneurship ecosystem in Tanzania, Uganda and Ghana. Support YCI and local partners in raising awareness of environmental issues, designing climate-responsive solutions and building a network of green businesses. This is an opportunity to apply your knowledge and passion for environmental sustainability in a new and innovative way, while also strengthening your CV with practical research, training and project coordination experience. In the process, learn more about women’s empowerment, climate action and social entrepreneurship – pivotal frameworks that are shaping the future of work and social impact globally.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Actively engage in and complete training modules on diverse topics including social entrepreneurship, climate action and gender equality
- Conduct primary and secondary research on environmental sustainability topics
- Support the Partnership Sustainability Planning (PSP), environmental assessment and action planning process for country teams and local partners
- Design and deliver needs-based trainings and resources related to climate action and entrepreneurship for partners, staff and fellows
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to research, develop and test innovative climate-responsive solutions
- Ensure training programs meet the needs of youth and integrate a climate focus
- Identify viable opportunities in the local economies for social and green ventures; provide coaching and mentorship for entrepreneurs as needed
- Help build the HerStart Toolkit with high-quality resources and opportunities
- Collaborate with staff, partners and fellows in each country to coordinate program logistics and engage in the HerStart Community of Practice
Desired Qualifications for this Position
- Prior knowledge and experience in climate action or environment sustainability
- Experience in facilitating trainings and developing educational resources
- Passion for learning and supporting the knowledge/skill development of others
- Strong communications and project coordination skills with high attention to detail
- Tech-savvy with knowledge of diverse platforms and interest in learning new ones (including Slack, Airtable and Mighty Networks)
- Strong organization, teamwork and time management skills in virtual settings
- Ability to be proactive, flexible and take initiative
- Ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes openness to differing opinions and views
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Must have fluent or professional level English (written and verbal) skills
- Ability to commit to full term of engagement at 21 hours/week during weekdays
- Currently enrolled in or graduated from a relevant post-secondary degree or diploma, or have the equivalent work experience
- Demonstrate interest in the fields of international development, gender equality, climate action and/or social entrepreneurship
- Access to a computer with standard software applications and stable internet connection
- Flexibility in schedule, particularly mornings (able to attend most weekday meetings and trainings coordinated across different time zones)
- Proficiency in standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Note: Individuals from all age, gender, academic and professional backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply.
- Contribute to women’s economic empowerment: Connect and collaborate with young women, communities and global partners to help grow the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda.
- Amplify your personal and professional growth: Whether you’re a recent grad, mid-career or experienced professional, you’ll receive unique opportunities to boost your CV and build transferable skills, such as cross-cultural communication, project management, research and more.
- Access high-quality training and resources: You’ll receive specialized training and resources from our global partners who are subject matter experts in their fields, including gender equality, social enterprise, monitoring and evaluation and climate action.
- Be part of an international network: You’ll connect with like-minded, passionate Canadians, partner organizations and youth around the globe.