05 Jan Volunteer Communications Coordinator – Philippines
Role: Communications Coordinator
Position Type: Pro-Innovator Volunteer
Partner: ADRA Philippines
Reporting to: Project Manager
Location: Goa, Camarines Sur, Philippines with frequent travels to Project target areas
Duration: 10 months
Start Date: February/March 2018
Eligibility Requirements: Volunteer must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
Application deadline: January 28, 2018
The EMBRACE Philippines project is seeking a results-oriented Communications Coordinator with strong story-telling and video production skills. The Communications Coordinator will support the project office in the Philippines in communicating the outcomes of the EMBRACE Project to donors, partners, and stakeholders. This will include the development and dissemination of communication materials and other communication assignments for ADRA Philippines and ADRA Canada.
The EMBRACE Philippines project is a four-year program designed to improve the maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH) of vulnerable women, girls and boys in Cambodia, the Philippines, Rwanda and Myanmar. The program is funded by the Government of Canada and is being implemented through a consortium led by ADRA Canada in partnership Youth Challenge International (YCI) and the Hincks-Dellcrest Centre (HDC).
The volunteer will be based in the EMBRACE project office and will be working and living in the field for the duration of the placement. ADRA Philippines is a Seventh-day Adventist faith-based organization, employing professionals from different faiths, and the volunteer will be expected to respect and reflect the values and lifestyle of the organization while in the field.
- Lead the development and delivery of precise, strong, clear, reliable and convincing communication and media products, including videos, human-interest stories, case studies and photos;
- Proactively identify potential media stories from the field;
- Ensure the project’s progress is well communicated to all ADRA Philippines staff members and project partners through regular bulletins;
- Archive communication materials, such as press releases and clippings, photographs, audio-visual materials, etc.;
- Whenever necessary, develop write-up, photo- and video-documentation of workshops, seminars, campaigns, and other project events;
- Represent ADRA Philippines at the Global EMBRACE Communications Sub-committee;
- Perform other duties as designated by the Project Manager.
Essential Professional Background/Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, public relation or a related field;
- 3-5 years of related work or volunteer experience;
- Demonstrated effectiveness speaking, writing and editing in English, with the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex issues to the public;
- Proven ability to take high quality videos and photographs, including editing skills;
- Experience with media production, communication and dissemination techniques and methods;
- Advanced computer skills, including proficient use of photo and video editing software. Experience with Adobe Lightroom and Premier is required and familiarity with using a Canon d70 camera and working in a Mac environment is considered an strong asset;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work autonomously or in groups with initiative to improve work processes;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- A passion for social justice and community service delivery;
- Highly flexible and adaptable to a challenging and high-pressure working environment and unpredictable workload;
- Self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision;
- Experience living, working or volunteering abroad;
- Exhibits mental toughness as manifested by willingness to work in rural areas and new cultural and professional settings.
Desirable Academic Qualifications
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a related field;
- Certification or studies in development communications with focus on public health.
Desirable Professional Background/Competencies
- Experience writing press releases and pitching to media;
- Knowledge of community development;
- Working knowledge of the Filipino language.
Important Information for Candidates
This is ten month subsidized skilled volunteer placement. YCI will provide the following for the volunteer:
- Pre-departure training and debrief in Toronto (including travel and accommodation)
- In-country orientation
- Return airfare and visa/permit fees
- Vaccinations allowance (up to $300 CDN)
- Emergency medical and evacuation insurance
- $1,200 CDN/month stipend to cover accommodation, food, work-related communication and transportation expenses
YCI does not cover the following:
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance (recommended)
- Social activities
- Personal travel
Youth Challenge International
Youth Challenge International (YCI) is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Over the past 25 years, YCI has supported youth-led initiatives and volunteer engagement with over 250,000 youth in 13 countries around the world. YCI’s programs are a unique and effective opportunity for individuals to participate in development programming. By combining the energy and skills of volunteers with local youth and partners, YCI provides volunteers with the opportunity to contribute to innovative programming while developing personal and professional skills.
ADRA (Adventist Development and Relief Agency) Philippines is a development and humanitarian organization in operation for over 30 years in the Philippines. ADRA Philippines works with people in poverty and distress to create just and positive change – regardless of their ethnicity, political affiliation, gender, or religious affiliation through empowering partnerships and responsible actions.
Applications will be received on a rolling basis until the deadline. To apply for this position, please complete our volunteer application form and upload or include a link to a portfolio of related work (writing sample, photos and videos). We thank all applicants for their interest, but will only contact those that have been selected for an interview. We will not accept any phone calls about this position.