05 Jan Volunteer Communications Coordinator – Cambodia
Role: Communications Coordinator
Position Type: Pro-Innovator Volunteer
Partner: ADRA Cambodia
Supervisor: EMBRACE Project Manager and National Public Relations Coordinator
Location: Rovieng District, Preah Vihear province, Cambodia
Travel: Position includes daily travel within the project’s 168 villages and to the ADRA Cambodia head office in Phnom Penh up to a once a month
Duration: 10 months
Start Date: February/March 2018
Eligibility Requirements: Volunteer must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
Application deadline: January 28, 2018.
The EMBRACE Cambodia project is seeking a results-oriented Communications Specialist with proven skills in planning, collecting and developing effective communications materials, preparing presentation documentation and sharing information through PR and media avenues with a broad audience. The volunteer will work collaboratively with the Senior Project Manager, Project Managers and Program Director to document activities, benefits, results and the impacts on family’s lives related to the key components of the project. This will include photography, video, and journalistic documentation for use in mass media dissemination and for donor specific reporting needs.
EMBRACE (Enhancing Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health through Revitalized Health Services and Community Engagement) is a four-year program designed to improve the maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH) of vulnerable women, girls and boys in Cambodia, the Philippines, Rwanda and Myanmar. The program is funded by the Government of Canada and is being implemented through a consortium led by ADRA Canada in partnership Youth Challenge International (YCI) and the Hincks-Dellcrest Centre (HDC).
The volunteer will be placed in the EMBRACE project office and will be working and living in the field for the duration of their placement. ADRA Cambodia is a Seventh-day Adventist faith-based organization and the volunteer will be expected to respect and reflect the values and lifestyle of the organization while in the field.
Working in coordination with the Cambodia team, the ideal candidate will:
- Develop an updated communications dissemination plan that corresponds with the professional skills and interests of the volunteer;
- Collect information and stories from the field to document the key project interventions of PD Hearth, Safe Delivery, WASH, home gardening for dietary diversity, other participatory methods as well as the positive impacts of each intervention;
- Create effective media content out of project materials for use by ADRA Cambodia and ADRA Canada;
- Build the capacity of local staff members to identify, plan, and carry out effective collection of external communications content and presentation techniques;
- Champion the integration of new methods of journalistic documentation that integrate into the project qualitative monitoring and evaluation plans as needed;
- Work with the project management team to identify communications information that can be integrated into the project reporting process including activity process and progress documentation;
- Perform other duties as designated by the Supervisor as needed to support implementation of the project based on skills and interests of the Technical Coordinator.
Essential Professional Background/Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills with well-developed interpersonal skills;
- Basic photography and videography skills are required;
- Experience with media production, communication and dissemination techniques and methods;
- Demonstrated experience effectively documenting processes;
- Highly motivated and self-directed;
- A passion for social justice and community service;
- Flexible and adaptable to a challenging and high-pressure working environment and unpredictable workload;
- An ability and willingness to work in rural areas and new cultural and professional settings;
- Experience living, working or volunteering abroad.
Desirable Academic Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, media, journalism, or related field;
- Studies in public health, rural development, community development or project monitoring and evaluation would be considered an asset.
Desirable Professional Background/Competencies
- Experience in documentation, journalism and presentation preparation;
- Preparation and implementation of mass media plans;
- Planning and report writing experience;
- Demonstrated experience conducting successful mentoring, training and coaching, particularly in a developing country context.
Important Information for Candidates
This is a ten-month subsidized skilled volunteer placement. YCI will provide the following for the volunteer:
- Pre-departure training and debrief in Toronto (including travel and accommodation)
- In-country orientation
- Return airfare and visa/permit fees
- Vaccinations allowance (up to $300 CDN)
- Emergency medical and evacuation insurance
- $1,200 CDN/month stipend to cover accommodation, food, work-related communication and transportation
YCI does not cover the following:
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance (recommended)
- Social activities
- Personal travel
Youth Challenge International
Youth Challenge International (YCI) is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Over the past 25 years, YCI has supported youth-led initiatives and volunteer engagement with over 250,000 youth in 13 countries around the world. YCI’s programs are a unique and effective opportunity for individuals to participate in development programming. By combining the energy and skills of volunteers with local youth and partners, YCI provides volunteers with the opportunity to contribute to innovative programming while developing personal and professional skills.
Applications will be received on a rolling basis until the deadline. To apply for this position, please complete our volunteer application form. We thank all applicants for their interest, but will only contact those that have been selected for an interview. We will not accept any phone calls about this position.