02 Dec Job Opportunity: Program Advisor for EQWIP HUBs
Reports to: Deputy Director
Contract type: Consultancy
Duration/days: December 2015/January 2016 to March 2016. A 5 day a week commitment is ideal but a minimum of 3 days a week may be considered.
Pay rate: Daily rate between 270-295 CAD. To be dependent on skills and experience
Language requirements: Fluency in English and either French or Spanish
EQWIP HUBS is a dynamic platform of diverse actors and young people working together to develop solutions to both local and global social, economic and environmental challenges in six countries around the world. EQWIP, an innovative youth serving partnership between Canada World Youth (CWY) and Youth Challenge International (YCI) has brought together a global consortium including UN-HABITAT, TakingITGlobal (TIG) and the Education Development Centre (EDC) to collaborate on this initiative.
Through 17 youth centered EQWIP HUBS in urban areas, participatory programming will support young people in accessing a sustainable livelihood. Through the engagement of a multi-stakeholder EQWIP HUB Network, EQWIP HUBS will foster a supportive and responsive enabling environment for youth livelihood activities by providing mentorship, coaching and access to capital. The EQWIP HUB Network will strengthen the capacity of public and private sector stakeholders and civil society related to youth mainstreaming for policies, products and services.
EQWIP HUBS is building a team of energetic, skilled and passionate individuals who are motivated by the prospect of exploring new and creative approaches to solving complex global challenges.
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director and in close collaboration with Country Managers, the Chief of Party and department leads (HR, IT, Finance, Recruitment, Livelihoods, Gender, M&E), this consultancy will be responsible for supporting the operational and programmatic start-up of programs in each of the six programming countries.
Key responsibilities include (usually in a supporting role):
- program coordination, workplanning and reporting in Bolivia, Peru and Senegal;
- development of program guidance material and manuals for country staff, volunteers and partners;
- design and roll out of program monitoring tools;
- development of systems and processes for effective project management
- development of program focused orientation and training material for new country staff;
- development of targeted volunteer placement descriptions in collaboration with country offices;
- identification and negotiation of lease agreements for country office and hub spaces in each of the 6 countries;
- registration of YCI and CWY in each of the six program countries including an assessment of options for establishing legal status and coordinating the provision of all necessary documentation and preparation of program plans as needed;
- identifying main risks for volunteers and programs and help conduct risk assessments and coordinate the development of safety and security plans;
- managing the translation of key project products into local language
- design and roll out of performance measurement tools for managing country field staff;
- Facilitate training workshops as required;
- Develop a work plan for the above tasks with specific details for each country;
- Support to Deputy Director on any additional areas as needed.
- University Degree in a relevant field and/or a solid combination of relevant studies and experience.
- Fluency in English and French or Spanish is essential for this position.
- Fluency in a third language (French or Spanish) is highly desirable.
- Minimum of five (5) years successful track record in managing international development projects and programs including practical operations experience
- Proven commitment to mainstreaming Gender and equality issues within work.
- Experience of developing and implementing strategic and operational plans.
- Demonstrated experience in coaching specialized and experienced staff.
- Appreciate the role and impact of international volunteering as a contribution to International Development.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal and the ability to use different communication media effectively, including email, telephone, SKYPE, and written correspondence.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen, coach, mobilize others and develop positive relationships with internal and external colleagues and clients.
- Ability to work well and respectfully as part of a diverse team, and in cross-cultural contexts.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities, finding innovative solutions to difficult and complex challenges. Computer and Internet proficiency.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally.
Deadline to apply: December 7,2015 at 5pm EST. Applications will be considered upon submission. Please submit your cover letter and CV as a one document Word or PDF e-mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Program Advisor Consultant” in the subject line. No phone calls about the position can be accepted. We thank all applicants for their interest; however we are only able to contact those selected for an interview.