09 Mar EQWIP HUBs Ottawa: Interim Deputy Director
Company Name: Youth Challenge International
Project Title: EQWIP HUBs Powering Youth Innovation for Sustainable Livelihoods
Working Location: 939 Somerset Street W. Ottawa, Ontario, K1R 6R8, Canada
Schedule: 1-year, Full-time contract providing cover for Maternity Leave
Salary: $85,000 – $90,000
Benefits Package: Group Insurance
Special Criteria: Youth Challenge International welcomes candidates who maintain a home base outside of the national capital region (which includes Gatineau and Ottawa). Candidates with a home base outside of the national capital region would need to be on location in the EQWIP HUBS office in Ottawa for three-four days per week. A successful candidate that meets these criteria will receive a cost of living adjustment for time spent in Ottawa.
ABOUT EQWIP HUBs
Do you want to work with a team of energetic, skilled and passionate individuals who are motivated to create innovative solutions for sustainable youth livelihoods? If yes, then EQWIP HUBs is the team for you!
Powered by Canadian leaders in global youth development – Canada World Youth (CWY) and Youth Challenge International (YCI) – the EQWIP HUBs project is a global network that connects Canadian volunteers, youth participants, and international partners through innovative programming in six developing countries.
Through 18 knowledge centres in Bolivia, Ghana, Indonesia, Peru, Senegal and Tanzania, EQWIP HUBs offers entrepreneurship and employment training so that young people, especially women, can come together to gain market-relevant skills and learn from mentors. Our youth focused, collaborative and tech-friendly approach is unique. By working in partnership with global peers – we can create a better future for all. Together, we’re on a mission to change the lives of 100,000 youth by 2020.
Whether you’re an experienced Canadian looking to put your skills into action for youth development, or a young person in an EQWIP HUBs country looking for a program to prepare you for the future – we have opportunities for you.
Canada World Youth & Youth Challenge International
Each recognized as Canadian leaders, CWY and YCI bring a combined 70 years of expertise in global youth development. Forty thousand young people around the world have been transformed through CWY’s world-renowned global reciprocal exchange programs and YCI’s youth innovation initiatives, proving young people can lead real change in global health, the environment, and youth livelihoods.
The Interim Deputy Director, reporting to the Project Director, will be responsible for the overall management of the technical functions of the project. S/he will manage national and international staff with technical roles. S/he will establish and maintain positive, collaborative and productive relationships with project staff, implementing partners, consortium partners, sector stakeholders and private sector actors.
EQWIP is building a team of energetic, skilled and passionate individuals who are motivated by the prospect of exploring new and creative approaches to solving complex global challenges.
- Provide leadership and management for the technical delivery and oversight of EQWIP HUBS in Canada and in program countries;
- Manage technical leads in Livelihood & Innovation, L,M&E & Gender and other personnel assigned to the technical team including Program Advisors and Consultants;
- Provide strategic support to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets and recommend program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track;
- Track and report progress and activities against annual and monthly work plans;
- Oversee program learning, monitoring and evaluation to ensure activities are meeting outcomes and aligned with youth and partner needs;
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of youth livelihood issues and a general understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing young people across countries of operation;
- Liaise and coordinate with technical consortium partners EDC, TIG, ACGC and UN-HABITAT to ensure effective implementation of activities;
- Liaise and coordinate with all EQWIP HUBS implementation teams and ensure consistent information, communication and collaboration between the technical team and other key functions within the project i.e. Talent Acquisition, Finance and Human Resources;
- Provide management and oversight of technical program delivery in particular with regarding coordination of activities in each country;
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws;
- Carry out management responsibilities including training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems; in accordance with projects policies and applicable laws; and,
- Perform other duties as requested by the Chief of Party and serve as Acting Chief of Party when necessary.
- Must be eligible to work in Canada;
- University Degree preferred;
- 7-10 years of progressively responsible management and leadership experience at a director level;
- Long-term, overseas experience preferably with a focus on youth;
- Experience in the following technical areas: gender, environment, M&E and livelihoods as they relate to youth;
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded projects and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans and training plans;
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supporting senior managerial staff;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; and,
- Fluency in English & French required, Spanish language skills are highly desirable.
Deadline to apply: Friday March 16, 2018 at 5pm EST. Applications will be considered upon submission. Please submit your cover letter and CV as a one document Word or PDF e-mail attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Interim Deputy Director” in the subject line. Applications will not be considered beyond the deadline.
No phone calls about the position can be accepted. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.