09 Jun EQWIP HUBs Tanzania: Operations Manager
Company Name: Youth Challenge International
Project Title: EQWIP HUBs Powering Youth Innovation for Sustainable Livelihoods
Start: As soon as possible
Working Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Schedule: Full time
ABOUT EQWIP HUBs
Do you want to work with a team of energetic, skilled and passionate individuals who are motivated to create innovative solutions for sustainable youth livelihoods? If yes, then EQWIP HUBs is the team for you!
Powered by Canadian leaders in global youth development – Canada World Youth (CWY) and Youth Challenge International (YCI) – the EQWIP HUBs project is a global network that connects Canadian volunteers, youth participants, and international partners through innovative programming in six developing countries.
Through 18 knowledge centres in Bolivia, Ghana, Indonesia, Peru, Senegal and Tanzania, EQWIP HUBs offers entrepreneurship and employment training so that young people, especially women, can come together to gain market-relevant skills and learn from mentors. Our youth focused, collaborative and tech-friendly approach is unique. By working in partnership with global peers – we can create a better future for all. Together, we’re on a mission to change the lives of 100,000 youth by 2020.
Canada World Youth & Youth Challenge International
Each recognized as Canadian leaders, CWY and YCI bring a combined 70 years of expertise in global youth development. Forty thousand young people around the world have been transformed through CWY’s world-renowned global reciprocal exchange programs and YCI’s youth innovation initiatives, proving young people can lead real change in global health, the environment, and youth livelihoods.
The Operations Manager, reporting to the Country Manager, will provide operations management of the HUB project across the national HUB locations, including coordination of personnel, project activities and financial and material resources. S/he will establish and maintain positive, collaborative and productive relationships with project staff and implementing partners.
- Support the Country Manager with daily project management, contributing to project decision-making by providing input on the operational health and status of the project
- Support the Country Manager to coordinate with technical partners, implementing partners and key local/national actors (public and private sector) to ensure effective delivery of activities
- Provide overall management support to the project and develop, maintain and monitor spreadsheets and tracking tools to ensure project timelines are adhered to
- Work with the Country Manager and staff to ensure that all project logistics are coordinated
- Contribute significantly to country level strategic planning and annual work planning and ensure program activities are in accordance with the project budget and work plan
- Identify areas of risk and take steps to reduce vulnerabilities
- Maintain and refine policies and procedures for the procurement, management and disposal of project goods and services, in compliance with project policies and procedures and regulations, and provide training to admin, IT and finance staff on proper procurement procedures
- Review, negotiate, and approve all field office contracts (including service agreements, office leases, contracts), ensuring all required contractual terms and conditions are included and obtaining the best value to the project
- Oversee the process for renewing local hire employment contracts on an annual basis, ensuring annual performance reviews are completed and employment contracts renewed on time
- Lead the process for the recruitment of local staff, including review of job descriptions, salary negotiations, and contract development
- Provide guidance to supervisors on recruitment procedures, promotions, and performance management
- Develop and manage an online timesheet management system for local project staff and implementing partners
- Lead staff in planning for Canadian volunteer arrivals and work placements, including arrival and orientation logistics, housing during placement, intercity transportation etc.); organize in-country volunteer orientations and lead sessions as needed
- Ensure, in close collaboration with the Country Manager, that practices, measures and policies concerning volunteers’ health, safety and security are applied and respected by all stakeholders
- Supervise Canadian volunteers’ requests for monthly allowances, seek approvals and submit requests for payment
- Coordinate and centralize all information related to volunteers during their placements (arrival-departure dates; work log; performance management; travel; incident management etc.) and prepare reports accordingly
- Oversee local company registration requirements and ensure EQWIP HUBs maintains compliance with evolving local regulations (e.g. taxation, employment/labour, etc.)
- Ensure security guidelines and procedures are established, maintained, updated regularly and adhered to by staff, partners, volunteers and other stakeholders. Monitor the security situation along with senior management and communicate procedures to staff
- Perform other duties as delegated by the Country Manager
- Applicant must be a citizen of Tanzania
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business or related field
- 5 to 7 years of demonstrated experience with mid-level management responsibilities for risk management, procurement, human resources, and contracts
- Experience providing management and oversight of field office operations, especially across central and satellite offices
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team and manage, motivate and mentor staff at all levels to create a positive team environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks with competing deadlines
- Strong diplomatic, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills required
- Advanced-level knowledge of Microsoft Excel, and basic functional knowledge of QuickBooks or other field accounting software packages preferred
- Strong verbal and written English skills required
Deadline to apply: Thursday June 21, 2018 at 5pm EST. Applications will be considered upon submission. Please submit your cover letter and CV as a one document Word or PDF e-mail attachment to email@example.com with “Operations Manager” in the subject line. Applications will not be considered beyond the deadline.
No phone calls about the position can be accepted. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.