10 Oct Construction Compliance Coordinator (Funded Volunteer Placement)
YOUTH CHALLENGE INTERNATIONAL | ADRA CANADA
Role: Construction Compliance Technical Coordinator
Position Type: Pro-Innovator Volunteer
Number of Volunteers: 2
Partner: ADRA Philippines
Reporting to: Project Manager (or to his designate)
Location: Goa, Camarines Sur, Philippines with frequent travels to Project target areas
Duration: 10 months
Start Date: November 2017
Eligibility Requirements: Volunteer must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
Application deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Youth Challenge International
Youth Challenge International (YCI) is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Over the past 25 years, YCI has supported youth-led initiatives and volunteer engagement with over 250,000 youth in 13 countries around the world. YCI’s programs are a unique and effective opportunity for individuals to participate in development programming. By combining the energy and skills of volunteers with local youth and partners, YCI provides volunteers with the opportunity to contribute to innovative programming while developing personal and professional skills.
The EMBRACE Project
EMBRACE (Enhancing Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health through Revitalized Health Services and Community Engagement) is a four-year program designed to improve the maternal, newborn and child health (MNCH) of vulnerable women, girls and boys in Cambodia, the Philippines, Rwanda and Burma. The program is funded by the Government of Canada, through Global Affairs Canada (GAC), and is being implemented through a consortium led by ADRA Canada in partnership Youth Challenge International (YCI) and the Hincks-Dellcrest Centre (HDC).
ADRA (Adventist Development and Relief Agency) Philippines is a development and humanitarian organization in operation for over 30 years in the Philippines. ADRA Philippines works with people in poverty and distress to create just and positive change – regardless of their ethnicity, political affiliation, gender, or religious affiliation through empowering partnerships and responsible actions.
The EMBRACE Philippines project is seeking two independent, results-oriented volunteer Construction Compliance Technical Coordinators. Under the guidance of the Project Manager, the Technical Coordinators will support the EMBRACE Philippines project office in the implementation and monitoring of Project construction activities, including: Maternal Waiting Homes and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Facilities. This role will involve coordination within the Project team, and with partners, beneficiaries and stakeholders. The volunteer will be placed in the EMBRACE project office and will be working and living in the field for the duration of their placement.
- Research and understand all Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and Philippine construction requirements;
- Work to ensure that all construction activities comply and align with the results of the Project’s environmental impact analysis, the GAC-EMBRACE agreed standards and Philippine laws;
- Coordinate and support the timely submission of all necessary construction-related documents (e.g. Construction progress report and its annexes) required by GAC, reviewing for completeness and accuracy;
- Conduct regular construction site visits to gather relevant data to complete reports and other documentation required by GAC;
- Perform other duties that are deemed to contribute to the success of the Project’s construction initiatives and/or as designated by the Project Manager.
Essential Professional Background/Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, law, public health, international development or related field;
- Ability to comprehend project documents and develop plans or implement existing plans;
- Demonstrated effective speaking and writing in English;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work autonomously or in groups with initiative to improve work processes;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- A passion for social justice and community service delivery;
- Highly flexible and adaptable to a challenging, dynamic, and high-pressure working environment and unpredictable workload;
- Self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision;
- Experience living, working or volunteering abroad;
- Exhibits mental toughness as manifested by the ability and willingness to work in rural areas and new cultural and professional settings.
Desirable Professional Background/Competencies
- Master’s degree in engineering, law, public health, international development or related field;
- 1-3 years of volunteer and/or work experience in project management related to construction and/or WASH;
- 1-2 years of experience in a compliance or regulatory environment
- Knowledge of community development;
- Working knowledge of the Filipino language.
Important Information for Candidates
This is 10 month subsidized skilled volunteer placement. YCI will provide the following for the volunteer:
- Pre-departure training and debrief in Toronto (including travel and accommodation)
- In-country orientation
- Return airfare and visa/permit fees
- Vaccinations allowance
- Emergency medical and evacuation insurance
- $1,200 CAD monthly stipend to cover accommodation, food, work-related communication and transportation expenses
YCI does not cover the following:
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance (recommended)
- Social activities
- Personal travel
Volunteering with the EMBRACE Project requires a personal commitment to the project goals and lifestyle. The holder of this position will reflect, support and respect the healthy lifestyle values upheld by the EMBRACE Project. The volunteer must conduct him/herself, both on and off duty, in accordance with the values and objectives of the Project so as not to be in conflict with the behaviour change messages.
Applications will be received on a rolling basis until the deadline. To apply for this position, please complete our volunteer application form. We thank all applicants for their interest, but will only contact those that have been selected for an interview. We will not accept any phone calls about this position.